Students are preparing to embark on another fun filled summer. While half of you will be traveling back home or off visiting friends in there hometown. The summer time was meant to be enjoyed and to make new connections. Some may be considering a summer vacation but think you can’t afford it during the peak seasons. The BEAM team have complied some tips for cheaper summer traveling.
- Use alternative means of travel: Instead of purchasing an expensive flight, take the megabus, train, greyhound, or drive. All are economically friendly and probably safer than flying nowadays. Check every possible route and travel options before purchasing. Megabus tickets can run as low as $25 for a one way. The Amtrak train has discounts, specials and tickets starting at $45 one way of course prices may vary. This is one of my favorite ways to travel; it’s comfortable, clean, and spacious. Greyhound bus it depends on your location and destination some reasonable tickets were found to be about $65 for one way.
- Book early: Some travel experts say you should book your summer vacation as far out as possible but some deals aren’t available until closer to your travel date. We suggest to find a great deal you book weekend vacation at least 2 weeks ahead of time. But if you are traveling for longer than 3 days best bet is to book travel reservations at least 1 month in advance.
- Free cancellation: To ensure I am getting the best deal I always book 2 different hotel rooms. I usually book 1 room as soon as the date is set. And a second hotel a little closer to the travel date. The more rooms a hotel has vacant the more deals they are willing to offer. With the free cancellation policy you can easily cancel the highest room rate usually 24 hours before check in without any issues.
- Embrace mobile savings: Some travel companies and hotels offer special discounts if you book your reservation from your mobile device. Companies such as Expedia and Priceline offer those special exclusive deals to new customers. Check travel sites to compare prices. Prices vary depending on several factors such as location, travel website, and hotel affiliation some even offer best price guarantee.
- Lower and/ or eliminate fees: Depending on your travel location many unexpected fees can be added without prior notice. So for the art of saving money avoid these places to rent vehicles from airports. When flying check airline policies on baggage fees.
- Transportation: Getting to your destination is only a part of the plan. How will you get around? Taxi cabs are the most common way to get around a unfamiliar place. However if you check with the hotel concierge they may have alternative ways to getting around the city such as a town car, trolly, metrolink or other forms of local transit.
- Join multiple rewards programs: Most businesses use rewards programs as a way to keep customers engaged and to share special deals. Join several different rewards programs for your favorite hotel brand, favorite transportation company, and favorite restaurants. During the summer hotel chains have rotating deals specially made for their rewards members, take advantage of those deals. For example Choice Hotels rewards program are based on how many nights you stay during a season and offer free hotel stays.
- Search the city for coupons: Researching the travel destinations can provide an insight on what sites you would be interested in exploring. Find the city’s website for savings, coupons, and reviews. Normally travel destination cities have multiple deals and freebies that are exclusive through certain sites.