Just like some of you I am the minority in my office. My coworkers are all men. It took me a few months to get comfortable working around all men. I found the most difficult thing about working with men is the office conversation sometimes. At first I was always objecting to sexist comments and fighting for the responsible women in the world. To men it seems like we are being a feminist when we confidently fight for justice for all women today regardless of personal experiences. After many tempers flaring I decided to pick my battles and simply do my job to the best of my ability. I knew I was not the only woman in the world dealing with these issues so I decided to research some positive ways to overcome being seen as the angry feminist in the workplace. I have incorporated a few tips in working with all men in the workplace.
1. Know your job the BEST. Learn all you can about every aspect of your position at work. Read legal paperwork, employee agreements and handbooks to know your rights and expectations.
2. Be a Team Player. Learn ways to connect with your coworkers so the atmosphere in the office can be fun but respectful. Know your coworkers limits, weakness, and strengthens to have a better understanding of what areas you all should assume to be an affective team.
3. Know your Coworker /Supervisor Job. Observe how your manager does his job. And note which ways you would assume the position better you may have that position one day so you should always be prepared in advance for advancement.
4. Observe not serve. Observe you counterparts. As women we are accustom to being nurturing. Make sure you are not treating the guys like your children even if they act as little boys at time.
5. Remember pick your battles. Actions speak louder than words. If the men in the office always perceive women as emotional wrecks prove them wrong by showing them otherwise. You should be seen as a light in the office not as a party bust.
6. Be a leader and problem solver. Always try to look at situations as a critical thinker. Men and women naturally see life differently so utilize and capitalize on it.
7. Cross train and strive for advancement. You never know when someone will recommend you for a position outside of your job description so know some of the other positions in your company.
8. Keep organized. Staying organized makes life much easier.
9. Show self-confidence. Love yourself and let it show by the way you act.
10. Dress and present yourself as a lady at all times. If you display yourself as a professional woman people will treat you as such. Wear clothes that fit and do not show your panty line or accentuate your shape. You want your work to speak for you not your body.